Restoran Hoi Kee (Hing Hwa Food) - Brickfields

by - 10:47 PM

The below broth, i am sure you can figure out, is none other than 'Hai Wong Yue Chee' (Crab Meat Sharkfin Soup). Okay, I cant help it - I still like Sharkfins soup. I dont think that there are that many real sharkfins out there. It had been ages ago, that i was last at this particular restaurant. Last night, I have to walk to and fro to ensure I am at the right restaurant. The last I remembered the restaurant's name was 'Goh Khean Lee', but never as Hoi Kee. Then I remembered, I have sat at a particular table before until I saw and recognize the lady boss!

This is the first time I tried the Sharkfin Soup here. The overall rating is 7 - good, as the generosity of the crab meat and sharkfin (real or not, well, it tasted real!). The only setback was that it was a bit too 'starchy'; you can taste the vinegar and chinese wine that they drizzle over the soup too. The below portion is SMALL and costs only RM30! Can you imagine this - it can serve up to 8 rice bowls! I cant help but to think about the Large portion then!!

If you looked around, thats what I did, you can see that every table has an order of the below 'Oyster Omelette' (Oh Chean). This is a rare dish to find in KL and different from Penang. Despite being deep fried, it isnt oily at all! This is being served with home made chilly sause with chopped garlic. I liked it best eating it plain as you can taste the sweetness and freshness of the oysters with a tinge of nicely fried egg. The only thing that had changed about this dish from the few times I was there before, was the size of the oyster. It seemed to be smaller now - probably its the season.Hmm. How much is this dish? RM13.

In actual fact, the restaurant here is also known for their 'Ginger Steam Fish Head' (Ching Yue Tau) with lots of minced or rather seemed like grounded ginger, which you can see on the bottom left. Okay, I know its hard to figure out - but not easy taking photos of food that are a bit too dark in sauce with a digital camera like mine.
The portion is only half a fish head; they use 'Soong Yue Tau' which has quite a lot of fish bones. Fortunately, the fish bones are big and not too fine, which may pose a problem for both young kids or elderly. The fish is very fresh thus you can taste the sweetness. The half fish head costs RM20.
My total bill for the night inclusive of a dish of vegetable, 1 coconut drink and two glasses of ice water costs me a total of RM79.70, which to me is reasonable, besides the quality.
Just like a few places which I have not visited years ago, the consistency of the cooking and taste still remains. I chatted with the lady owner and finds that her husband is the Key Chef rather than hiring one. By hiring one, the chef may 'sabotage' the cooking if he/she is leaving and may ruined a restaurant's reputation. The second chef is a Myanmar, whom is allowed to cook some simple dishes like fried noodles.
The restaurant also serves pork shank (different cooking method - soaked in thai sauce), etc. I shall return to try the pork shank.

This place closes every Monday and is open as per usual restaurant hours with a break from 3pm onwards and resume business again at 6pm onwards.


Restoran Hoi Kee is located at: No 5 & 6 Jalan Tun Sambanthan (Brickfields). Tel: 227 41872. The crowd starts coming in around 7pm and they serves table by table.


Irrespective of whether you are coming from KL or PJ, take the turn off at Tmn Seputeh (or Volvo) heading towards Brickfields. You will pass 2 sets of traffic light (coming from KL) and head straight on, you will see a big field (or DBKL Field) on your left. Start looking for car park on the main road on your left, otherwise, you can look for parking further down. There are a few restaurants along the main road. Hoi Kee is located there - or look out for Police Station. They are just opposite.
Go hunting!











View Larger Map

You May Also Like

0 comments