Chuan Kee Hakka Restaurant

by - 9:04 PM

If you are craving or looking for Hakka Food, Pudu Ulu is the best place to be. Somehow, I think, the Hakka Clans stays there - yet to find out the historical relation. This was my first visit to Chuan Kee Hakka Restaurant. It was introduced to me by my eldest sis-in-law, who is a food reviewer herself and writes better than i do! This night was nothing BUT HAKKA NIGHT!

They serves 'Wu Tau Kau Yoke' (Slices of Yam with Pork Belly..drool!) - typical Hakka food. I can taste some 5 spice powder (5 Heong Fun), dont get me wrong, the amount they put in was just right. The yam was cooked just tender, not too hard nor soft. As for the pork belly, it is up to one's preference. I prefered a combination of fat, not too fat, and lean meat. As I bite into the meat, I can feel some fat oozing out which compliments the lean part very well.


The other dish I tried that night was none other than, 'Chui Keok Shuin' (Pork Trotters cooked in Vinegar Sauce). I am not one that fancy this; my sis-in-law is a 'fanatic' (if you are reading this, I am right, aint i?) and have been highly promoting this to me from the moment we started the journey from my house.
Surprisingly, I find myself liking this dish too! It has the right amount of vinegar, mind you, its not too sourish but with a tinge of sweetness from the vinegar. I was practically drinking it like soup! It was so appetizing - do be careful though, you may end up eating more. Hahaha.

Now you may be wondering what is this! This is 'Mook Yee Char Yoke' (Deep Fried Pork with Black Fungus). I actually preferred the meat after being fried, it is so tasty as one marinates overnight with 'lam yee', onion juice (pound small red onion and squeeze out the juice) with some seasoning. It tastes so YUMMY especially straight out from the wok! Sluurrppp.
After one fries the pork, then you stew the meat for an hour or so, till it is tender. Of course, you add in the black fungus together with the meat!

Ah huh, finally, a dish which is non-Hakka but typical chinese vegetable. This is 'Fan Shuee Yip' (Potato Leaves Stir Fry with Garlic). Nothing fancy about this dish, but the way they whip up this dish was just to perfection - the right amount of garlic and the veg was still crisp and fresh as one chews on to it.

Chuan Kee Hakka Restaurant rest day are every 3rd Friday & Saturday of the month. Its operating hours are from 1130am - 3pm and 6pm -930pm. You can easily locate Chuan Kee as the known landmark in that area is PGRM building (Pudu Ulu):
No 14 Jalan Pudu Ulu
Batu 3 Cheras
Tel No: +603-9284 4530
You can see the restaurant on your right hand side, just slightly a few doors away from PGRM. Parking is slightly difficult. You can park at the open car park in PGRM and be there slightly earlier to beat the dinner crowd as it can get rather crowded too. Or, call to reserve.
Alternatively, you can try another restaurant, next door, YAP CHONG. They serves similar dishes but have Yong Tau Foo too.





View Larger Map

You May Also Like

0 comments