The ACTUAL Kau Kai Cheong in Ipoh

by - 9:59 PM



When one travels or mentions Ipoh, the first thought, when it comes to food is none other than its 'Ngar Choy Kai + Ipoh Sar Hor Fun' - Blanched Bean Sprout with Steamed Chicken and Flat Noodles cooked in chicken broth. To top it off, a cuppa of typical chinese 'white coffee', Pak Kopi, is another well known item.

Whenever I go to Ipoh, or on my way to Penang, I will definitely stop at this particular coffee shop which is located at 'Old Road' aka 'Kau Kai Cheong' as it is famously known. Or, you asked for the direction towards a 'foh chai hup' flats, which looks like match boxes all piled up. What I particularly like is the freedom of one being able to order food from any coffeeshop, irrespective if its located next door or across the road. Unlike in KL.

What does this coffeeshop has that beckons my visit each time? Well, its actually the roasted pork - Siew Yoke. Its served at this coffeeshop located at the right hand corner (if you are facing the 'match box flats'). Its freshness, crispiness of the skin and sweetness of the pork you can taste as bite into it! And they will serve it together with chilli sauce. I prefer eating it as it is. I never fail to not eat when am there.
The other discovery is the above 'Chee Cheong Fun' (Flat noodles serve with sweet sauce or chilli sauce or both). I am never one to fancy this dish, however, the Chee Cheong Fun served here are more tasteful, as it is being topped up with fried shallots, dried prawns and green pickled chilli. Most importantly, its the sauce that makes the difference, to me. As you can see from the photo above, the sauce is not your typical chee cheong fun's 'thim cheong'. You can order this from the coffeeshop next door.

Don't forget to order Penang Char Kuay Teow from across the coffeeshop located at the opposite corner too. And, the dumpling (Choong or Chang) which is delicious as well.

The amazing thing is when its coffee time, you can see that this coffee shop is packed to the brim around 4pm onwards, besides morning! They serves toast bread, half boiled eggs and lots of other yummy stuff. Honestly speaking, the coffeeshop here are doing better business than Starbucks! That is also according to my friend in Ipoh who will attest to that.
I am salivating now as I scrolled up to have a final look before posting! Drooll....

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Glad you find the roasted pork so tasty. I have not visit the shop for a while now. Hopefully, I will get to taste it again when I'm back to Ipoh during this chinese new year. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete