Mei Keng Fatt Seafood Restaurant

by - 5:09 PM

Mei Keng Fatt Seafood Restaurant not only dishes out great food but prices are reasonable for the portion or sizes one gets. This is obvious from the size of the crab claw of the Australia Mud Crab! cooked Marmite Honey style. As you can see, the marmite honey sauce is not just a well combination amount of marmite & honey, but the sauce itself is cooked to thicken to the right consistency. You get a slight ‘saltish’ of marmite and the sweetness of honey, and what can you do with the sauce that is on the plate? Obviously, laps it up with the cucumber garnishing that is being served together for that whole purpose! Do not miss this dish when you are there – if there is no Australia Mud Crab, local meat crab is just as good lah.


We also order the Sweet and Spicy version, which is also well combined with the amount of beaten egg, chilly and tomato sauce with a tinge of ‘spiciness’. The Australian Mud Crab was also used for this dish. The amount of sauce is generous and goes well with steamed bun which will just soaks up the sauce. And as you bite into the bun, which many of you have had that experience with other restaurants, you can feel the softness of the bun and the sauce oozing out! Between the two versions of crab, I personally prefer the Marmite Honey Style, not that I don’t like the other version, but it was a bit too much for me to do justice to that version.

The total cost for the two versions of Australia Mud Crab, costs RM90/kg totals at RM460 and a portion of Chinese Buns at RM20..

Obviously our meal wasn’t very healthy but full of cholesterol. However, one should worry less, eat prudently (as in the balance of ‘unhealthy’ but actual food!) and exercise like crazy after that! I was just joking, about the exercise like crazy part, but do exercise. The other delicious dish ordered was Crispy Fried Squid which is being dipped in a mixture of batter of cornflour and flour itself (based on my cooking experience). I am sure there is something else, besides the addition of pepper and salt, or maybe, just maybe it’s the right balance, which I may not have gotten it right?? As I bite into the squid, I can feel the crunchiness, softness and sweetness of the squid. Not like some other places, where either it’s being dipped into too much batter or the squid is overcooked. I highly recommend this and it costs RM30 for the portion and size? Worth it.

Honestly speaking, I am not one to fancy anything that’s plain or tasteless like in bean curd or otherwise locally known as Taufoo. Thank God for creativity and innovation, that I am able to appreciate Taufoo that comes combined with egg, or pre-fried with other combination. Special Taste Home Made Bean Curd in Mei Keng Fatt is coated with beaten eggs prior to a quick short deep fry, which ultimately, gets combined with the special sauce with thinly sliced Chinese Mushroom and artificial Crab Sticks which are being stripped into pieces. The sauce itself wasn’t ‘starchy’ which resulted in it being thick! A simple dish like this costs RM20. I let you decide if the price is reasonable?

Deep Fried Crispy Pork Ribs is another dish that was ordered. My brother, BK, went ‘overboard’ ordering as it was a celebration of his elder son, Jie Han’s, whose 16th birthday falls on December 9. The ribs were tender and moist, that’s all I can describe. Why? I have to try at least a piece to be able to blog about the dish!, and I think, if I weren’t that filled up, better justice could be given to this. Personally, I think this dish is a bit high in price for RM36.


Finally, some greens after all the meat and seafood. This is, according to the bill (scroll for the bill at the end) is Fried Hongkong Butter Plant which is wrong, the ‘veg’ is right but definitely not fried! This is Hongkong Butter Plant in Superior Soup or ‘Seong Tong Lai Pak’ cooked with kei chi (gooseberry), which is believed to be good for the eye sight. The soup is pleasantly clear with a tinge of gooseberry sweetness, and some small pre-fried anchovies. While, the vegetable itself is ‘youthful’ literally translated from Chinese, or be otherwise known as tender or young. Ah, this was satisfying for the price of RM25.

What? There is some more food to come! I uttered in disbelief! I definitely can’t do justice to the following quack, errr, I meant 8 Variety Duck or known as ‘8 Poh Ngap’. It is braised and filled with light stuffing of Chinese herbs like tong kwai, etc serves with quartered hard boiled eggs. I will let you know how the dish is, if I do get to try it again. I guess it should be good as so far all the dishes I had, my earlier visits, were just as good. The '8 Poh' price is indeed at RM68! Too steep.

The final total bill for all the dishes, inclusive of appetizer and tea are as follows: Mei Keng Fatt Seafood Restaurant is located in:

No 1 Lorong Awan 6,
Kuala Ampang
68000 Selangor
Tel: 03-4256 6491 / 4257 3232

and its operating hours are:
11am - 230pm, and, 4pm - 12am

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. glad to see you make a comeback after a long break!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG where's this place the crabs looks good!!! i wanna eat crabs :)

    ReplyDelete