Thai Fried Rice - Restaurant Say Huat, Section 17, PJ

by - 10:21 AM

I have heard of a so-called famous Thai Fried Rice in Section 17 years ago. The description of having lunch sort of scares me, as I was told that eating in the coffee shop is just like one sitting in an oven! Not that I have sat inside an oven before, have you? It is basically the roof of the coffee shop is made of zinc and during a hot day, with the penetration of the sun, the zinc will absorb the heat. Now you got it?

I finally braved myself to have lunch there on my way down to KL one hot sunny day (coincidentally??) and try the Thai Fried Rice. My friend, who was also with me, was told that there was a delicious Penang Fried Kuay Teow, and we opted to have one each to share and try.

The Thai Fried Rice was indeed delicious for the price of RM5! The rice texture was just moist enough to absorb the spices that are being fried together i.e. chilly, onions, lemongrass, egg, etc. You can find at least 3 pieces of medium size prawns. Efforts are being made to make your meal more appetizing by topping it of with raisins and spring onions. The raisins added made the fried rice a tinge sweet yet fragrant and tasty.

The Penang Fried Kuay Teow was a bit disappointing despite the fact that the person frying was from Penang. I concluded that two things may happened here i.e. the fire wasn’t ‘big’ enough, or, frying too many plates at one time. It wasn’t actually that bad nor nice but edible. It came with lots of Chinese sausage, generous portions of prawns and some cockles. Oh yes, the cockles was so tiny that probably also explains why.

I suspect that this particular dish at the price of RM4 can actually be quite tasty . Maybe, just maybe, he didn’t wake up from the right side of the bed? I will give it one more try the next visit and let you know.


Btw, I survived the heat and it wasn't that bad after all. Probably it was to deter more crowd??
Restaurant Say Huat is located at the same place as the morning market of Section 17. There is a famous Roast Duck & Siew Cheong shop at the corner. It is the same row, but, just the next corner block.

You May Also Like

0 comments