Hokano Restaurant - Must Go!

by - 9:53 AM

Hokano never fails me! Despite having "lost" them for 2 years (at least!), yes, they moved! I was so elated to 'bump' into this place again. Check their address right at the bottom.

I can’t help but talked about this particular Japanese restaurant which is located in Damansara Utama on its Hokano Roll. My eldest nephew, Jie Han, who never fails to choose a Japanese meal, when ever is asked, suggested this cosy little restaurant. He said if it’s for the rolls and chicken katsudon, this is the place, while for beef, he would choose Kogetsu which is located in Hyatt Saujana.

The Hokano Roll,named after the restaurant, has unagi, prawn, avocado, crab stick and black sesame all rolled into one and a bit of salmon roe on top. I was impressed and awed when I took my first bite. You can taste the sweetness of all the ingredients, which is beyond description, and the aroma of the black sesame seed. A plate of Hokano Roll has 8-10 pieces and costs RM18.50 which I initially thought was rather expensive, but, after that experience, its worth paying for! And, we had 2 plates!

Even my late mum loves it, which is rather rare.

Below is Alaska Roll which I ordered on my second return after weeks of craving for Hokano Roll. The only difference between the rolls are basically either Salmon, known as Alaska Roll, or Unagi aka Dragon Roll. The ingredients all rolled together with the rice are crabstick, seaweed, eggs, cucumber etc and not forgetting the fragrance of both the white and black sesame seed which adds some crunchiness in each bite that you takes. The Alaska Roll is topped off with fresh, sweet, soft and juicy piece of both avocado and Salmon laden with some roe. I particularly like the Salmon as its being sliced to the right thickness.
If you prefer just pure unagi roll, you can opt for ‘Dragon Roll’ below, same portion at RM15.95

We also tried the ‘Crispy Salmon Skin Roll’ which costs RM5.50 per plate which had four pieces in it. The salmon skin was indeed crispy and delicious, but portion of the skin was too little.
Below is the Unagi Bento which comprises of sashimi salmon and white tuna, some tempura and salad, if you want to have everything. This bento costs RM31.
A bowl of Chicken Katsu Don costs RM12.95 which has a generous amount of chicken and come with an egg besides the usual slices of mushroom and vegetables. My nephew also loves the slices of onions that is cooked till soft and has its own sweetness (not sugar sweet, mind you).
The Salmon Teriyaki was well marinated and fried to perfection. The teriyaki sauce was neither too diluted nor thick and this dish comes served with a bowl rice. I recommend that you try this too. This plate of Salmon Teriyaki costs RM18.95 may look small but it isn’t.

My bill for that night for four plus one (my 6 year old niece only had a chawan mushi) was RM133.35 inclusive of Ocha, which I find was worth paying for.

My nephew asked me not to blog about this restaurant. Why? There is only one chef, who is also the owner, who had been working in Japan for 10 years. No one in the restaurant knows the recipe. The place has about close to 20 tables, 2 serving staff while another cleans after patron leaves. Thus, you have to wait for quite a while, unless you are early to beat the crowd!

HOKANO is even more well hidden now *cry* Opening hours are from 12pm - 3pm and from 6pm - 10pm.

Look out for landmarks such as Maybank or Dalkomm (Korean coffee joint). They are on the same row as Dalkomm, few doors away, on the 1st floor: 

67M, Jalan SS 21/37, 
Damansara Utama, 47400 Petaling Jaya, 
Selangor, Malaysia


One word of advice, go early if you want to try the rolls, as nearly every table orders not only one plate but two!

A word of caution: Go early as the place packs up really fast even lunch time! They are 'thinly' staff


Share with me your thoughts if you have visited.


You May Also Like

0 comments