Seafood Porridge: PJ State vs Maluri

by - 10:52 AM

The last time I visited this place was many years ago with my parents. I can still recall clearly which table we were sitting and it was my parents’ first visit. My dad had passed on for four years now. One thing I can say for sure is the consistency is still there but not the price. A bowl of the below porridge is for 2 person and costs RM32 inclusive of 'yau char kuai' which was soft and unfortunately not crispy.


We ordered the fish porridge, which came along with clams (La La) and dried scallop which surprisingly, still had the sweetness and aroma of a dry scallop! Take one and smell and you will know what I am trying to describe here. The portions of fish, clams and scallops were generous as you can see. It is served in a clay pot which was wrapped with aluminum foil, which I suspect is to keep the porridge hot. You can still get the whiff of the ‘Hsiao Tsing Wine’ or ‘Fah Tiu Chau’ which is so aromatic. The soup was sweet as it had absorbed all the seafood sweetness and pieces of ginger are being added to dispel, if any, ‘fishy’ smell.

This stall is located next to Chung Khiaw Bank behind HongKong Bank, PJ State. At this same coffee shop at night, there is a really good braised duck, braised pork leg and I just LOVE the yau fun. I can just take the sauce from either the duck or pork leg and eat with the rice, and nothing else!!!

As for Maluri Seafood Porridge, the soup was a combination of anchovy with pork bones and meat boiled separately until it was time to put in the rice. To ‘disintegrate’ (yoong) the rice, one needs to soak the rice overnight. You can opt for any ingredients i.e. fish,flower crab, clams, prawns and even dry scallops (which I forgot!)

To ensure the clams are not over cooked, I suggest you only put in both the fish fillet and clams when both prawns and crabs are half cooked. Why? It is easier to know if the both prawns and crabs are cooked as it can be seen when it turns reddish. By doing so, the clams will be cooked just right and not give you the ‘chewy’ effort. As for the fish, I used 'Ma Yau' as doesn't give you the 'fishy' smell.
I also discovered that, by adding in some fried onions, it actually made the porridge tastier and more fragrant. Where’s this place? The blogger is the cook :)
I explored cooking this dish after having delicious and famous seafood porridge in Nibong Tebal, on the way up North to Penang.
Happy Hunting or Happy Cooking? Your choice.

You May Also Like

0 comments