Tengkat Tung Shin - Fish Ball Noodles, Lor Mee & Pork Noodles

by - 8:28 AM

Tengkat Tung Shin, located parallel to Jalan Alor, brings back lots of memories, as I did my 'kindy' located about 500m away from where I used to stay, Jln Hicks. Every morning I would walk to school with my brothers, at least 2km, to both Convent Bukit Nanas (CBN)& St.John Institution. I finished both my primary and secondary in CBN and so does my bros' in St. John's. After which, on tuition days, we would walk past this particular coffee shop, which didnt attract much of my attention then, except for the famous fish ball noodles. As a kid then, 50cents is a big deal and I can get a bowl of noodles in school for 25cents! So, cant afford to eat this fish ball noodles then.

Thus, nearly each Sunday, without fail, I am at this coffeeshop, Kedai Makan & Minum Adik Beradik Chua (didnt know the name of the coffeeshop till last Sunday! as I need to blog!). It all actually started with my return for the Fishball noodles until I discover another busy stall selling Lor Mee & Chee Yoke Fun (Pork Noodles).

The fishballs are 'springy' with each bite, while the slices of the fishcake tastes sweet minus the usual 'flour' taste and what I like best is the 'Flying Saucer', which I later learn the proper name, 'Yee Kau', which its skin is made of fish meat through a very thorough and exhausting process as the owner shared with me. The kuey teow or 'flat noodles' are smooth and tastes so good with each spoonful of soup that comes along with taugeh, spring onions and a dash of pepper as a finishing to the bowl before being served. You can choose to have the dry (kwan lo) or soup version. Both are just as good! You can buy the Flying Saucer and Fish Ball to take away as add on to your own homemade soup. A bowl of Fishball Noodles here costs RM5.

Now, it is not easy to find nice and delicious Lor Mee or Chee Yoke Fun (Pork Noodles) in KL. Thus, I was happy and contented with the little treasure tucked in this coffeeshop. This stall is being managed by both husband and wife with occasional help from their younger son on a weekend. They also serves Fish Porridge, Yue Pin Mai (fillet fish Noodles) and all cooked by the wife.

The Lor Mee served here uses the slightly smaller version of the yellow noodles (which does not give you the boric acid taste!) and comes generously served with minced pork, which is soft and tender yet sweet and not forgetting, the fried pork lard which is 'evil-ly' delicious.

A bottle of black vinegar is provided together with a small plate of sambal chilly. I personally prefer to add a small plateful of sambal into the bowl of noodles and the vinegar (to me, is not sour enough) to my heart's or rather should I say, olfactory's content??? You will not find a drop of soup left in my bowl.

Try adding the sambal chilly in after you had tried the original version. you will be surprised! Let me know if there's another yummy lor mee and I shall venture.
As for the Chee Yoke Fun (Pork Noodles), the soup is so sweet from its stock of pork bones and meat. You can have a choice of not having any noodles, just like yours truly, but both minced and slices of pork with vegetables alone, which still costs RM5 per bowl. You can also opt for just minced pork if you prefer, as I do because it is so tender.

Pork liver is also being added to both the different bowl of noodles, and if you choose not to have it, just inform them. With the addition of the liver, the taste of the soup will be slightly changed i.e. a tinge of the liver taste will seeped into the soup as its being cooked. Its actually quite nice and make it alot more tastier.
There is also another stall which sells the usual chicken rice with options of both steam or roast chicken, roast pork & char siew, and I discovered yesterday, curry chicken too. The curry chicken was delicious! Overall, the chicken stall passes my rating.

This coffeeshop is packed to its brimmed late Sunday morning i.e. around 930am onwards, thus, you have to be patience while waiting for the noodles, especially the Lor & Pork Noodles. It is advisable you go earlier to beat the crowd, if not, have some toast bread with half boiled eggs while waiting for your noodles.

The owner of the coffeeshop (if you are reading this, the owner, you know what to do this Sunday) he is a cheerful happy go lucky fella. He asked me to blog his 'Kau Kopi O Ping' (Black Ice Coffee) which I always orders, and sometimes, the uncle who is making drinks, will have my drink ready for me just as I sat down. This is what you call Customer Service yet being Customer Focus! Hahaha..

There are actually 2-3 other shops/stall nearby which have delicious food too i.e. Ming Kee Char Siew, Mui Choy Kau Yoke and Beef Noodles. You will have to wait for my next visit to these places then.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Suet, have u tried the fishball and fried kuey-tiaw in S17 foodcourt (very near a small pasar)? It's quite good also.

    ReplyDelete