Try these local Places in Sabah for a change

by - 2:39 AM

Sabah, located at the east side of Malaysia, is not only well known for its lovely diving spots but also seafood. I have been to Sabah many times for work, but never for leisure. Thus, this is my FIRST holiday. My friend, who is a local, played tourist guide despite being her weekend, took me to places which I recommend that you should go try. Sneak some time from work, you need lunch anyway! I suggest that you skip places like Restaurant Port View for a change if you regularly goes to KK.

Restaurant Wan Wan
Lot No 6, Duta Industrial Estate, Jln Bundusan, 5 1/2 mile, Off Jln Penampang. Tel: 088-716698

I remembered a colleague took me to Lintas in KK town (5 years ago!) but apparently it has shifted. My friend took me to Restaurant Wan Wan which serves fish noodles. This noodle is specially made from fish meat itself. This bowl itself comprises of nothing but fish, fish and fish i.e. fish paste (yue wat), fillet fish and the noodle itself with some chives and tomatoes. You can taste the sweetness of the fish in the soup itself and just can’t stop drinking. They do sell the noodles for you to take home. This portion costs RM6.50 and you have the option of adding in beehoon (costs the same!) which could be more filling if you are a hearty eater, whilst its normal costs RM4.50 per bowl.


My total bill for 4 person & drinks was RM39.50

This is also another well patronized place for something similar to Restaurant Wan Wan. However, there are more choices here i.e. Fish Noodles, Tom Yam & ‘Mun Yue Tau’ Braised Fish.
As you can see, the Fish Noodles here is cooked differently from Restaurant Wan Wan. The only difference is that bitter gourd is added here. Personally, I never eat bitter gourd, however, I tried the soup and noodles, and Restaurant Wan Wan wins hands down! Not just because of the bitter gourd but the overall tastes. There were 4 of us and all voted Wan Wan. Per bowl of fish noodles in Dat Seng costs RM5.50.

I, however, ordered Tom Yam (RM6.00/bowl)as when I walked past, it is not only popularly ordered but looks delicious. Indeed it is. The Tom Yam comes with generous amount of fresh prawns and evaporated milk is being added here but you can’t taste it. The only thing lacking for me is that it is not spicy to my taste but is indeed delicious.



'Yau Yue Oong Choy' - Sotong Kangkung (CuttleFish)
Taman Tun Fuad - Hawker Stall

I am never a fan of the above 'snack' - as its not rather filling that’s why I opted to call it a 'snack' instead. Usually I would just pick at the 'oong choy' with the gravy, provided the gravy is tasty too. I cant say no to great hospitality by my friend, thus, the journey for 'yau yue oong choy' started half hour after Kedai Kopi Dat Seng.

This small stall is located right at the far end corner as one walks in from the car park. There are a variety of other stalls there too, and I was made known that the local particularly seeks out the rojak and soya bean curd there.

I was in for a wonderful delicious surprise when I took my first bite! The sauce is indescribable (due to the lack of my culinary dictionary?) mixed together with the crushed peanuts. I was in for even a BIGGER surprise - the cuttlefish is so tasty as it was cooked till really soft and tender yet I can still taste the sweetness of the sotong and the lingering taste of the sauce after each bite. My mum and I just couldn’t stop eating!! Value for money at RM3 per plate. And finishing off with the nice smooth tau foo fa (soya bean curd) that comes with an option of palm sugar or normal sugar syrup ...this is what you call LIFE!


Kungfu Chow KK Style - Fried Beaufort Mee!
Restaurant Beaufort, Taman Landbreeze, Jalan Penampang, KK

Two days of fish noodles for both breakfast and lunch is quite sufficient. For a change, we were brought to this place that serves Noodles which may seem similar to West Malaysia's Cantonese Fried Noodles (Kungfu Chow - no, you don’t need to know kungfu here!) :)

As you see from the photo taken (sorry for the 'blurrness'), this portion is for a person only and comes with huge amount of pork slices; however, the vegetables are more as per our request. The noodles are home made, thus, you can enjoy to your heart's content without the taste of 'boric acid' unlike the usual yellow noodles. The noodles are 'springy', the 'choy sum' is really gigantic version but what I like most about it is that it doesn’t give you the 'greenish' taste, if you know what I mean. The pork is sweet and tender while the noodles absorb all that was added in during the frying process. Wonderfully delicious. Mind you, the portion is huge!

You May Also Like

0 comments